Pan Seared Alaska Halibut Steaks with Cherry Tomatoes and Basil
- 1 tbsp mixed white and black peppercorns
- Coarse kosher salt
- 1 tbsp pure olive oil
- 4 4-ounce Alaska halibut or salmon steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup lightly packed whole fresh basil leave
- Orange or lemon wedges for accompaniment
- Step 1: Prep halibut Preheat the oven to 350°F. Crush the peppercorns using the bottom of a heavy skillet on a clean work surface or pulse in a spice grinder until just cracked. Set aside. Sift to remove the finest particles of pepper. (They can make the fish far too hot.) Season both sides of the steak with salt. Rub one side of the steaks with the pepper.
- Step 2: Cook halibut Heat the tablespoon of oil in a 12-inch heavy-duty ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the fish steaks, pepper-side down, and cook, without moving, until a crust has formed, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the steaks and scatter over the tomatoes and basil leaves. Transfer to the oven and cook until the fish is firm, about 4 additional minutes. Remove the skillet to a rack to cool slightly and let the fish set
- Step 3: To serve Serve immediately with orange or lemon wedges on the side.
Click HERE to explore all of your halibut options at Custom Seafoods!